Geropsychiatric Nursing Initiative (GPNI) 3: Health Disparities
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
- Registered Nurses
This module discusses health disparities in older adults.
These GPNI continuing education modules represent a component of the Geropsychiatric Nursing Initiative to provide online learning in mental health and aging for advanced practice registered nurses and other graduate-prepared nurses and nursing students. The modules were made possible through generous support from the Geropsychiatric Nursing Initiative, a partnership of the National Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Excellence, the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. A special thank you to leaders of the John A. Hartford Foundation’s Geropsychiatric Nursing Collaborative for their consultation and support for these continuing education modules and vision for geropsychiatric nursing.
- Explain how health disparities affect the well-being of older adult patients
- Discuss core concepts in the field of health disparities
- Explore reasons why health disparities exist
- Explore reasons why some demographic factors can create health and aging disparities for groups of older adults
- Look at some recent data on the effects of disparities for these groups