Geropsychiatric Nursing Initiative (GPNI) 3: Health Disparities
Course Target Audience
- Nurse Practitioners
- Registered Nurses
This module discusses health disparities in older adults.
These GPNI continuing education modules represent a component of the Geropsychiatric Nursing Initiative to provide online learning in mental health and aging for advanced practice registered nurses and other graduate-prepared nurses and nursing students. The modules were made possible through generous support from the Geropsychiatric Nursing Initiative, a partnership of the National Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Excellence, the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. A special thank you to leaders of the John A. Hartford Foundation’s Geropsychiatric Nursing Collaborative for their consultation and support for these continuing education modules and vision for geropsychiatric nursing.
Course Learning Objectives
- Explain how health disparities affect the well-being of older adult patients
- Discuss core concepts in the field of health disparities
- Explore reasons why health disparities exist
- Explore reasons why some demographic factors can create health and aging disparities for groups of older adults
- Look at some recent data on the effects of disparities for these groups