PCOA-RN 15: Sensory Changes in Older Adults
1.5 Nursing Continuing Education Contact Hours
- Registered Nurses
This course outlines age-related sensory changes commonly seen in the older adults and how to manage and compensate for the safety risks these changes cause.
After viewing this course, learners will understand the interprofessional team’s responsibilities in managing older adults with sensory changes, including interventions that can enhance communication for those suffering from sensory loss.
- Identify age-related sensory changes commonly seen in the older adult in outpatient clinical settings and at home related to vision, hearing, taste, smell and touch
- List the interprofessional team's responsibilities in managing older adults with age-related sensory changes
- Identify sensory losses in older adults that can impact safety and how to compensate for those losses
- Identify sensory changes in older adults that can impact good communication with others; family, caregivers and members of the interdisciplinary team.
- List 3 interventions that can enhance communication with older adults