CNYGEC: Some Preventive Measures for the Elderly
Course Target Audience
- Healthcare Professionals
- Nurse Practitioners
- Primary Care Practitioners- NPs
- Registered Nurses
- Social Work
This webinar from 2012 outlines some general prevention measures in the elderly such as vaccinations and exercise. Specific screenings related to aging covered in this module are cancer, cardiac disorders, vision/hearing impairment, osteoporosis, dementia and depression. Non-beneficial preventative strategies and medication reconciliation are also highlighted for review.
The Consortium of New York Geriatric Education Centers (CNYGEC) with its partner the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing (HIGN) at NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing offers trainings that provide the essentials of geriatrics and gerontology. These trainings provide the participant with subject matter content information, demographic data, institutional and community care best practices, and resources.
Course Learning Objectives
After viewing this webinar, you will be able to:
- Name some general rules for prevention in the elderly
- Identify the benefits of exercise in prevention in the elderly
- Identify preventive measures related to cancer screening, infections, osteoporosis, vision & hearing, cardiac disease, cognitive changes and depression
- Identify issues related to medication reconciliation in the elderly
- Identify preventive measures not recommended for the elderly