PCOA-IP 11: Falls and Fall Prevention
Course Target Audience
- Healthcare Professionals
This course defines the causes and risk factors for falls in older adults, describes the need for comprehensive assessment for falls in this population, and identifies validated screening tools to utilize when evaluating for fall risk.
After viewing this course, practitioners will understand their role in preventing falls and in intervening when a patient has a fall, and will understand strategies to prevent falls and serious injury in ambulatory and home care settings.
Course Learning Objectives
- Define the causes and risk factors for falls in older adults
- Describe the comprehensive assessment of falls in older adults
- Identify valid screening tools used to assess older adults at high risk for falls
- List interprofessional team member roles in: preventing older adult falls and intervening if a patient has a fall and/or injury related to the fall
- Describe the ways in which the interprofessional care team works together to prevent falls and serious injury in the ambulatory care and home care settings
- List falls and falls prevention strategies that interprofessional care teams can utilize in clinical and community settings.